Thursday 7 November 2013

Requirement Gathering: Buying A Car!


“woof woof! Woof woof! Woof woof!”
 I could barely open my eyes but I was conscious enough to put the alarm on snooze. Yes, I know a barking dog would be a lame alarm but I’ve had it since 6th grade.
“Wait, it’s Saturday isn’t it?” I thought for a moment.
“My brother’s birthday is in 2 weeks!” I screamed while jumping out of my bed. I grabbed my car keys, a toast with cheese on it that I forgot to eat last night while watching the el Classico and headed straight to the nearest car dealer shop (would you believe it?) in my sleeping suit! :P
“I gotta buy him a yellow sports car. That’s all he ever dreamt of. I am so gonna buy him a yellow sports car. He’s my favorite brother. In fact the only brother I have.”
So I parked my car in a really awkward position and rushed into the building which had a sign on it stating
“Ashir Hanif car dealers
You ask We deliver”
I heard they were running a good business downtown that could order cars and sell them to the user according to their requirements. Well, I guess that was my place because I knew exactly what I wanted to buy. A yellow sports car :D
“May I help you sir?” Asked the receptionist.
“I want to buy a car” I replied.
“What kind of a car sir?” She asked.
“A sports car” I replied.
“Follow me” She took me to the office of a guy name Adeel. 
“I see you are looking for a sports car Mr. ummm?”
“Zaryab” I replied.
“Oh so Mr. Zaryab what kind of a sports car do you want?”
“Ummm. A yellow one?”
“Hahahaha. A yellow one? So I guess you don’t know much about sports car do you?”
“Well to be honest not really but I’m buying one for my brother. It’s his birthday in 2 weeks. He’s really into cars and stuff but I gotta keep it a surprise. And yeah. All I know is that he is obsessed with yellow”
“I’m sorry sir but you’ll have to be more specific”

“As I told you already I don’t know a thing about cars and all I know is that I need a yellow sports car in 2 weeks”
“2 weeks! 2 weeks? Hold on sir you’re not going in the right direction. Here’s the deal. I’m gonna ask you a list of questions and you’re gonna have to answer them. Fair enough?”
Then he started asking a list of long, tough questions such as the car company, the additional features in the car, the horse power, the fuel consumption and I can’t even remember what else. I could hardly answer a few of them. What seemed like a tough interview finally came to an end.


“These are the list of cars that you ought to choose from. What’s your price range?” He took out a list of 8 cars.
“Ummm. 50000 $ I guess.” I replied.
“Well I guess you don’t have a lot of options then. We only have 2 cars in that price range. A lotus Elise which I’d prefer or a used yellow Lamborghini diablo. We don’t have any yellow lotuses.”
“Well that’s it then. Lamborghini it is :D”
We both shake hands after which he says
“Oh wait. There’s just a little problem. You said your brother’s birthday is in 2 weeks? Well I’m sorry but we can’t order one within 3 weeks.”
“What? Why not? What’s the use if I he doesn’t get his present on his birthday?”
“Well Sir we can’t do a lot about that. Maybe you surprise him a week later? How about this. We’ll arrange a party for him at the Lamborghini warehouse and surprise him there! ”
“Well that sounds fun! :D But he won’t be able to ride his car on that day right?”
“No Sir I’m afraid that won’t be the case.”
“Well I can live with that. But it better be one hell of a party then”
“Hahahaha. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it sir!”
“Well it was nice meeting you Mr. Adeel and I hope my brother likes the car”
“I’m pretty sure he will Sir.”
“Well I better get going then. Have a good day.”
“You too Sir!”
I left the building having ordered a yellow sports car however I still wasn’t sure if I had ordered the right car. Well I guess I better get lucky here. Who cares about the type of the car anyway? A huge smile on my brother’s face is all that matters to me!
What we learnt Today:

  • User requirements are the services that the system provides and its operational constraints
  • System requirements set out detailed descriptions of the system’s functions, services and operational constraints.
  • Functional requirements verses Non-functional requirements
  • System Requirement Specification is a document containing user and system requirements.
  • R requirements elicitation involves technical staff working with customers to find out about the application domain, the services that the system should provide and the system’s operational constraints.
  • There are a number of generic activities common to all RE processes
1.       Requirements elicitation;
2.       Requirements analysis;
3.       Requirements validation;
4.       Requirements management.









3 comments:

  1. Birthday at Lamborghini ware house sounds pretty cool :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. One question, if any non functional requirement like speed you mentioned out is of much importance to customer, can it be called functional then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, for Example in Security systems security is a functional requirement though in general we take security as a non functional requirement.

    ReplyDelete